Rev Samuel Wathem Wigg

Northampton Rugby Club logo The Rev Samuel Wathem Wigg, grandfather of the present occupant of Mortimers off Rectory Lane, was once the vicar of The Church of St James, and was the founder of The Saints Rugby Club.

The history of Northampton Rugby Football Club goes back to 1880. Local clergyman Reverend Samuel Wathen Wigg was credited with starting the Saints. He formed a rugby team from something called the 'church improvement class' as a way for some high-spirited boys to let off steam.

Long before his death, Rev Wigg, father to nine children, was to see the side develop into one of the main clubs in England. The clergyman was curate of St James Church, hence today's nickname for the club of Saints or Jimmy's.

Follow this link to learn more about the history of the club.